myMPD supports local coverart for albums and streams.
myMPD needs access to the MPD music_directory or a uptodate MPD.
Albumart in directories through direct music directory access
- If connected through the local MPD socket: myMPD gets the music_directory automatically, if music directory is set to auto.
- If connected over network: set the music directory option in the connection dialog.
Enable albumart support:
- To support albumart, songs must be arranged in folders per album.
- Put the pictures in the album folders, name it always the same, e.g. folder.jpg
- Configure the name in the settings, a comma separated list and basenames are also supported
Albumart in directories through MPD
- only MPD >= 0.21 supports the albumart command
- Put the pictures in the album folders, the basename must be cover (e.g. cover.jpg)
myMPD can extract embedded albumart, if it can access the music files. If MPD >= 0.22 is detected myMPD can get the embedded albumart through the readpicture command.
myMPD caches extracted covers under
/var/lib/mympd/covercache. Files in this directory can be safely deleted. myMPD houskeeps the covercache on startup and each two hours.
- Images must be named as the uri of the stream, remove http://, https://, etc. and replace dots, colons and slashes with underscores, e.g. stream_laut_fm_nonpop.png for uri http://stream.laut.fm/nonpop.
- Put these images under
Pictures for other tags
The “Browse Database” grid view can display pictures for other tags than album also. To enable this simply create a directory with the tagname in the
/var/lib/mympd/pics directory and put pictures with filename equal the tag value in this directory.
Create a directory named
/var/lib/mympd/pics. Add pictures with the AlbumArtist name as filename in this directory.
Home icon pictures
Pictures for the home icons mus be placed in the directory
Supported file extensions
myMPD recognizes following file extensions:
- png, jpg, jpeg, svg, webp, avif